Red Right 88

Cleveland sports fan and sports writer

Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

quit my job decided to drive west

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Indians limp along

On Tuesday during the top of the third inning, I thought to myself, "I can't believe the Indians season is over before the Cavs season."

Of course the Indians rallied and won the game. They won because Boston gave them the game but still it seemed like it was the type of win that could change things. Something went in our favor. On Monday Cliff Lee pitched like an ace and the Indians found a way to lose. I still have no idea why Wood was in the game. I would not have pitched him on Tuesday either. But what do I know.

Wednesday started with the news of Hafner to the DL. Strangely I did not see this as a bad omen. I was still confident and Carmona went out and pitched like an ace. The Indians were up 5-0 and everything seemed right. The bullpen with an assist from DeRosa then preceded to give the game away. I had been worried when the eighth started that we had no closer after pitching him in two straight non-save situations but the lead was lost before ninth even started.

Now the optimist can say Lee and Carmona seem to be on track. You can point to Sipp pitching well. You can add Perez is looking better. But the truth is this team doesn't have it. What is"it", I am not sure but this team doesn't have it. Sizemore seems like he should be a superstar but he isn't. The bullpen seems like it should be good but it isn't. The offense seems like it should be good enough but it isn't. This team is lacking something. And I don't know what it is. Sure there is more than enough of the season for them to find it but I don't believe in this team. And I am not sure why. It could be the lack of leaders that Wedge mentioned. It seems like Victor and Grady should be leaders. DeRosa was a leader in Chicago but you can't lead when you aren't hitting or fielding well. I can't believe what I am going to write next but this team misses Casey Blake. Who knew?

I don't want to write or even read that it is too early to panic. But this team seems to be lacking confidence. And I lack confidence in them. This team doesn't inspire me. I want to be wrong. I want them to catch fire. But I just don't think they will.