Red Right 88

Cleveland sports fan and sports writer

Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

quit my job decided to drive west

Friday, July 31, 2009

Goodbye Victor

It is sad to see Victor Martinez go. But I like the trade. We get a big-league ready arm in Masterson and two more power arms. I think the value received is more than I expected.

I get why some fans will be upset. Victor wanted to stay. But for the long-term health of the franchise this makes sense. Victor is getting older and spending money on sentiment is not a good idea. His numbers are great at catcher but only just above average for first base. It is time to let the kids play. I hear how fans are claiming they will stay away but I don't mind supporting a young team that plays hard. Hopefully that is what we will get.

At least Victor gets a shot at the playoffs but he will be walking into a weird clubhouse. There are a lot of guys in that locker room wondering whose playing time Victor will take. It must be nice to be a GM of a team that can pick up a all-star for position that isn't a need but a luxury.