Red Right 88

Cleveland sports fan and sports writer

Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

quit my job decided to drive west

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Tell me you didn't see that coming

I know April is way to early to panic but this isn't fun. The Tribe's inability to hit is taking all the fun out of the a Tigers 0-6 start. How I can talk trash when we can't hit?

And yes I stayed up to watch the ninth. I know I have lived in this town too long when as soon the Tribe took the lead in the ninth I was still filled with dread. The Angels had not lost when having the lead after eight innings for 161 games. That would be one short of a full season. When we left the bases loaded and Borowski had to go out there. I did not have confidence and I left a little bad because JoBo has come through time and time again even if it is always scary.

And my nightmares were rewarded as Torii Hunter slammed the Angels to the win.

I have faith in Shapiro and Wedge. But it is hard not to have questions since the Tribe should have gotten swept in Oakland but an dropped double play ball and walk won that game.

I know it is a long season and it is never going to be easy. But Michaels and Dellucci are a combined 1 for 25. If two veterans can master one more hit than I would that is not acceptable. If the Indians insist on keeping Marte then play him and move Blake to the outfield. If not bring up anyone from Buffalo. Even Josh Barfield would bring more to the table as a misplaced left fielder than these two guys. Not that I am overreacting or anything.

The danger of coming so close to the World Series is forgetting the long path it takes to get there. No one owes you anything. But while it is easy to mock the Tigers right now, this club is not a sure thing. Bullpen are finicky. We all knew Betancourt spoiled us last year and as a collective hole we are waiting for JoBo to implode. The truth is the while the Tigers may struggle pitching, when it warms up they will start to hit and hit big. Are you as confident that this Tribe team will do the same?

Again, it is just one week. But it hasn't been fun to watch.