Red Right 88

Cleveland sports fan and sports writer

Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

quit my job decided to drive west

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Woo Hoo Awards

Hmmm. C.C. Sabathia wins the Cy Young and Eric Wedge wins A.L. manager of the year and yet instead of pride, it just feels like a slap in the face. Nothing against what either man did in the regular season but it just feels so empty.

C.C. has to be happy because he gets another two million bucks for next year but I doubt it adds to his motivation since it was already there in the form of a contract year. Next season, Mr. Sabathia could pitch himself to the biggest contract a pitcher has ever seen. I know he is saying the right things about staying but that is why he has an agent. Maybe A Rod will be enough of a cautionary tale but I doubt it.

On other hand, I get the feeling winning manager of the year means nothing to Eric Wedge. While I am sure he will say the right things, I can't imagine a plaque means anything to him. He knows what slipped away and he knows how hard it will be just to get back in place. While he has to like his chances, I believe he has noticed the Tigers are already better, the White Sox have to be be better and the Yankees and Red Sox still have huge payrolls.