Red Right 88

Cleveland sports fan and sports writer

Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

quit my job decided to drive west

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Playoff thoughts

My thoughts on the last few Cavs playoff games.

First, I have to say I am loving this new no smoking law in the local bars. I can go to a local watering hole and not have anyone blow smoke in my face and when I get home my clothes don't have to be thrown down the trash shoot because of the smell.

As for the Cavs, I have been mighty calm this entire post-season. I relaxed and figured maybe I was wrong and Mike Brown knew what he was doing. That there had to be a method to what looked like madness. That LeBron was ready to rise up to the next level.

I have not jumped off the bandwagon but I am getting a little squeamish.

I know most of you hate Damon Jones. He doesn't play defense well. He can be a streaky shooter and hasn't played in months. But when Larry Hughes is standing around on defense and chucking up brick after brick (he was 1 of 15 at one point) how worse could Jones be for a four minute stretch-- I am not saying major minutes but the man is veteran who has been through the wars. Damon has pride and you give him a chance and I say in playoff time- he can give you 10 minutes as good as anyone. Same deal with Ira Newble and Scott Pollard- I understand you want a tight rotation but in games like game five-- what could it have hurt. Let Pollard throw some people around for a few minutes. Let Ira muscled up a guard and close his eyes on a three-- what could it have hurt. I like Boobie and I think Sasha will be star, but veterans are veterans for a reason. When the plan isn't working-- throw the vets into the mix to see if things can be shaken up. Don't make them starters but use them in games like last night.

Again I am not a NBA coach so maybe there is something I am missing but when the Nets clog the middle on LeBron and on defense our bigs are getting lost on picks-- why doesn't Brown go small and have LeBron move to the four. It would give the Cavs an extra jump shooter on the floor and force LeBron to post low instead of fighting through traffic. Again, I am not saying all game but for short stretches.

While I am slightly wavering, I am still confident but the Cavs need to close this out on Friday night in New Jersey. There are too many ghosts in this town for a game seven.